Ok, here are some thoughts I'm having after watching my Arkadin DVD last night, reading the pertinent info in TIOW and then reading this thread.
1. It seems to me that merely restoring the print would be a vast improvement. A great film is there, but it is obscured by cloudy image and sound. Someone dfeinitely needs to clean up this film.
2. Reading the chronology in the back of TIOW I finally, slow me, realized that a third print, closest to O's vision was discovered by PB in Hollywood in 1961 and released in the US at 99 minutes. This apparently is told in multiple and layered flashbacks and is released on film by Corinth. This is also the version that sergio is referring to in the first post. Am I wrong?
3. The version Jaimie prefers is the Europen Version called Confidential Report, also 99minutes, which TMC showed a year or two ago and I taped. It is also the version that Voyager and Criterion released on LD. It has only one flashback. Jaime says that he has all three versions, which means that he has the Corinth version, yet he prefers the European. Jaime says that there are few differences between all three, but if the Corinth has multiple flashbacks and is closer to Orson's vision, what must be wrong with it to not garner his approval?
4. There is another Europen Version that was actually filmed in Spanish, using different actors, and which begins with the dead woman on the beach, the way Orson intended the beginning to be. Jeff says that he prefered not to get into that version, but I am extremely curious. Would a subtitled release of that version be even better than the US release? Especially if the lead is a better actor than Arden? I don't mind reading subtitles if the film is great.
5. O_w_O or someone else, could you post the '7 Arkadins' here or provide a link to a copy of the article online?
6. The saddest thing, to me, is that this film was taken away from Orson because he could not reach the editing deadline. After reading several posts about O's editing of TOE, how even though the current edit worked fine, O would keep recutting and recutting until he was satisfied, I realize that the editing of a film is just as important as the filming. How can anyone really fix Mr. Arkadin?
That's all for now. I would love to hear more on this subject.